Specialize in Asian Law studies of China, India, or Japan. First semester of enrollment begins in Philadelphia, and the LL.M. degree is completed at one of our overseas partners at Tsinghua University, Jindal Global Law School, or Temple University Japan. This program is designed primarily for J.D. holders (and potential J.D. students) or lawyers from foreign common law jurisdictions, who would use Temple’s curricular strengths and existing programs as a bridge to take or expand their careers to Asia, the most dynamic region in the 21st century world.
Asian Law LL.M. Application Materials:
In addition to completing the online application form, applicants to the LL.M. program in Asian Law must submit the following materials:
1. Official law school transcript (waived for Temple students)
2. A personal statement, not to exceed 1,000 words
The personal statement is required and is carefully evaluated by the admissions committee. Applicants should explain their interest in graduate study in Asian Law, as well as any other factors the admissions committee should take into consideration when evaluating their application. The statement should demonstrate the applicant's organizational, analytical, and writing skills; as a result, applicants should invest appropriate time and effort in preparing this statement. While proficiency in an Asian language is preferred, it is not a requirement.
3. An academic or professional reference (waived for current Temple students).
The reference letter may be written by a professor or employment supervisor and should candidly evaluate the applicant's academic abilities and/or professional skills. Relevant work experience can also be considered evidence of potential for graduate study.
4. For students for whom English is not a native language, we require an English ability assessment such as a TOEFL or IELTS score. We require proficiency that approximates an 88 on the internet based TOEFL, a 230 on the computer based TOEFL, a 570 on the paper based TOEFL, and a 6.5 on the IELTS exam.
5. Application fee of $50 (waived for current Temple students)